Tips to maintain your two-way radio
Maintaining your two-way radio or digital radio is one of the important things that many of us ignore. Two-way radio proves as a great communication tool during disasters as mobile phones become useless during such situations. Negligent maintenance of two-way radios can prove extremely critical at various times. To ensure you can keep in touch with the people and supports assets you need, just keep these two-way radio maintenance tips in your mind.
Regularly inspect and change the batteries
Changing your batteries will not only ensure that your communication device has adequate power but in fact, it will also keep your devices from being damaged by old batteries that may corrode terminals within the device.
Don’t forget to review the possessor manual
Always check your two-way radio’s owner manual as it contains a lot of information such as how to take care of the device, how can you make communication with the device, how can you set up your communication device, etc.
Keep your device away from water
It does not matter whether your device is water-proof or not, still, it is your responsibility to protect your device from water. Keep your radios in a dry place and avoid exposing them to water.
Keep ventilation region clear
Generally, two-way radios have small vents that allow heat and air to exit the internal structure of the device. These small vents keep the electronic components of your device from overheating. So, you need to keep the vents clear of debris and dirt.
Safely store your device
If possible, then invest in the holster and small carrying case to prevent your two-way radio from being damaged. When digital radios are not in use, it is a good idea to store them at a safe place. Also, avoid exposing them to water.
Avoid chemicals for cleansing
Never expose your two-way radio to any solvent either it is cleaning fluids or alcohol. Stick with the accessories which are designed specifically for a particular type of radio. If you are using incompatible accessory then it can end up shortening your digital radio’s life-spam and even destroy it.
Rule to follow while making communication from two-way radio -
1. While communicating over the two-way radio, choose those words which are easy to understand and try to speak slowly.
Before proceeding, just wait for some time to ensure that your intended recipient has heard you and they are available for communication. If possible, you can break your messages into short parts.
3. Never share private information while making communication over two-way radio. This is because radio frequencies and channels are shared so it is not safe to share sensitive information.
4. If another radio client is conveying, wait for some time until the discussion finishes as just a single individual can talk at once. Try not to press the PTT button again-n-again. Except if you realize that the call is for you, don't include in the discussion.
5. When you press the PTT catch, there might be a short delay before the radio starts to transmit. Before you start to talk, hold up several seconds to guarantee the start of your message is received.
6. To get transmissions, you have to guarantee that your radio is working appropriately. Check to guarantee batteries are charged and the gadget is turned on. Ensure the volume is set sufficiently high for you to hear approaching transmissions. Consistently check to guarantee that you are in range.
Hope, now you will understand how to maintain your two-way radio and how to make hassle-free communication from them. Although a simple cleaning, handling, and maintenance are needed for extending the life-span of two-way radio.